[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability documentary to air on PBS

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Oct 24 21:31:28 UTC 2011

Bridget,

While I agree with the sentiment you express that we need to be aware of the fact that we're not the
only group involved with the rights of all disabilities, I also think that it needs to be recognized
that there have been some good reasons why we sometimes chart our own course.  I do not know if it was
the same Ed Roberts, but we had some differences with an Ed Roberts in the mid-1970's when he was
director of the California Division of Rehabilitation over some big problems in the Business Enterprise
Program there.  If it was the same guy, that doesn't detract from what he has accomplished, but as I
recall, there was an effort on his part to minimize our role as blind consumers, and it was felt that
was in part because he saw uniqueness as not being something that was consistent with a strong
disability movement.

One of the problems we had in the 1970's and still have today is that we are still a fairly low-
incidence group.  There was a strong disability rights movement then and there was serious organizing
efforts.  The push was very, very strong to promote the view of "Disabled" with no emphasis on specific
disabilities.  Issues we tried to raise that were important to us often could gain no traction in the
larger groups which were often referred to as cohalitions, but such groups did expect all member groups
to carry out their priorities.  Let me explain how one process worked here in Minnesota in which I
participated with other members of the NFB of Minnesota and other organizations of the blind.  The forum
was a governors commission on the handicapped or something similar.  The goal was to work out in a one-
day meeting what the priorities of the governor should be.  What was done was to first work together as
a common group to establish the broad priority that affected all disabilities.  as I recall, some of the
broad priorities from which to choose were architectural barriers, transportation, financial aid, and
several others.  The choice of architectural barriers as the top priority was never in doubt, and it was
the logical choice.  At that point, curb cuts were not in use all over and people were still pitching a
fit at the cost of ramps.  However, now that a priority was established, the various disabled groups
were asked to split up into separate working groups and decide which of our particular issues would fit
into the architectural barriers category, and that issue would then be the top priority for that group.
The only thing that really fit at all for us at the time was brailling elevators.  When the conclusions
of the group were published, braille elevators were listed as the most important barrier to blind
persons becoming part of society.  While there were other organizations of the blind participating and
they may have been happier about this choice than we were, all of us who were blind agreed that
transportation was a bigger issue for us as were library services and education.  We experienced other
situations where issues that we felt were crucial to our integration into society were subordinated by
issues that were more important to the larger group.  While we probably felt this way even before the
70's, it became very clear to many of us at the time that we needed to maintain control of our destiny,
to push the issues that were important to us, and to cooperate with but not be subordinate to other
larger groups when we shared common goals which does happen sometimes.

I think it is important that we recognize that there are others of note who have made contributions to
the progress that disabled people have made.  As you know, Dr. tenBroek was also from Berkeley, and he
spent considerable effort in the promotion of protections of other disadvantaged groups, even being
involved in the writing of the Brown versus Board of Education that is thought of as being at least the
beginning of the end of segrated schools in the United States.  It is also good to remember, though,
that the larger disability movement has not always been our friend, either.  We have much in common, but
there is much that is unique, too, requiring us to be aware of the history.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson