[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability documentary to air on PBS

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:28:16 UTC 2011

Chris,

I hadn't heard of Ed Roberts either until I was invited to speak for a
panel on disability awareness a while ago. They showed an interview with
Roberts from the 60's or 70's; I believe it was an old 60 Minutes
interview. I was surprised to learn how much this guy accomplished.

Roberts also established the first independent living centers in this
country. He believed any person with a disability can have independence
and we have every right to demand that independence.

It's interesting how many of you have coined Dr. Tembroek as the father
of the disability rights movement because Ed Roberts is often referred
to as the same. I've done no detailed research on the topic or either
man, but I think we need to be a bit more open when discussing the
disability rights movement. A lot of people and various disabilities
belong to this movement. Blindness is of course important to us, and we
want the equality and accommodations necessary to be a successful person
who is blind, but we also should realize that the Federation and it's
founding fathers are not the end-all-be-all in the disabled community.
When it comes to blindness, the Federation has probably done the most
positive work, but other people and entities exist who share similar
goals and philosophies towards disability.

Roberts was referred to as a "cripple," and because of his disability,
high schools and colleges didn't want to allow him to graduate or even
enroll. His disability was considered too severe to accomplish
requirements necessary for school, and in the long run, many believed it
wasn't worth it for a person with such a "severe" disability because
he'd never be able to truly participate in society.

He fought to achieve higher education, and to receive the accommodations
necessary to accomplish this goal. This is why, upon his acceptance to
UC Berkley, he pioneered what has become the disability services
department most colleges now have. In terms of services for blind
students, I've heard mixed thoughts. Some have had a great experience,
and others not so much. Not having attended Berkley myself, I can't form
an opinion, but I can say that apparently Ed Roberts did a lot that has
helped a lot of disabled students achieve higher education.

Roberts also helped create the World Institute on Disability, an
organization dedicated to changing life for disabled people that's led
by disabled people. Here's its mission statement: The mission of the
World Institute on Disability (WID) in communities and nations worldwide
is to eliminate barriers to full social integration and increase
employment, economic security and healthcare for persons living with
disabilities. WID creates innovative programs and tools, conducts
research, public education, training and advocacy campaigns; and
provides technical assistance.

Hmmm... Who does this sound like? Familiar?

I think we need to open our eyes and learn to work with other
organizations sharing our goals and missions. We do have specific needs
each respective group pushes individually, but we have a lot in common,
and perhaps working together on more efforts, truly working together,
would give us a louder voice to make change.

It's a big world and the Federation isn't the only organization pushing
progressive, total independence.

For any interested, here's a link to WID's website: http://www.wid.org/

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter