[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability documentary to air

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:47:31 UTC 2011

Dave,

I agree, and the reason I bring up any other leader in the movement is
because others here have stated others as the "father" of the disability
rights movement. I would certainly agree that Tembroek, and later
Jernigan, were probably fathers of the early blind rights movement, and
of course they contributed to the movement as an entirety, but again,
when broadening the picture, others were equally instrumental in
establishing a firm voice seeking independence and equality for all with
disabilities.

And it's very true that we all have built upon the work that has come,
and is happening, to support the cause as a whole. My intention was
never to imply otherwise; I'm just concerned that some, not all,
consider the Federation as the only organization to do anything pushing
for the disability rights movement. This isn't diminishing the role of
the NFB, but rather adding the other puzzle pieces to the picture.

I think a lot of people seek a poster-child promoting all disabilities.
I've found myself in similar circumstances before, and it is
intimidating  trying to speak on behalf of all disabilities; it must be
how the president feels when trying to serve all the various groups,
parties and peoples of this country.

Our over-all goal and message may be similar- independence for all, and
with certain accommodations and positive mindsets, we can all achieve
personal levels of independence. But when dealing directly with
individual disabilities, a lot of variables are in play and the
accommodations are equally varied. What I might require as a blind
person isn't necessarily what a paraplegic requires or someone with CP.
We can't exactly put one face to this collective.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan