[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability documentary to air

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Oct 25 15:58:16 UTC 2011

Bridget,

Please allow me to reply to this note since I somehow didn't get the note that you addressed to me last
night sent to my work machine.  I want to make it clear that I didn't think you were diminishing
anything that our founders did, and that I do think we need to be sure we understand other efforts made
by persons with disabilities.  It has always confused some, in my opinion, why we in the NFB didn't get
more excited about the Americans with Disabilities Act because they didn't understand that we had gotten
some of what the ADA represented into law through our white cane and other legislation years before.  I
worry some that people may loose sight of how the general disability movement has helped us but also how
it sometimes makes things more complicated for us.  I read another post on this subject that seemed to
express some frustration that much money was spent on making a building accessible but little was done
to make it accessible to the blind.  This, in my opinion, is an example of how our thinking has been
negatively impacted by the general disability movement.  It really fits into the example I wrote about
last night.  Some of us have been made to feel that since building accessibility is extremely important
to much of the disability community that it has the same importance to us.  Braille room numbers and
such can be helpful, but the lack of such did not stop us from getting where we needed to go as the lack
of ramps and elevators impacted those in wheelchairs or walkers.  This point was really brought home to
me once when a number of us who were blind when with a friend of ours who was in a wheelchair to a
restaurant where it turned out the elevator was out of order.  The elevator was the only way to get into
the restaurant without walking down a wide staircase with perhaps fifteen stairs.  The staff felt very
badly and offered to get a couple of people to carry her and her wheelchair down the stairs.  She was
rightfully uncomfortable with that and made sure we knew that she was all right with us eating at this
rastaurant and that she would go somewhere else.  Well, we decided not to eat there and find a place we
could all enter without her having to be carried down the stairs by people she didn't know.  The
restaurant was a generally accommodating restaurant and the elevator being out of order was not typical.
Still, what it brought home to me was that this was a show stopper for my friend, and while an attempt
to be accommodating was made, it involved her taking a physical risk, something that was on a totally
different level than is ever experienced by my not having braille room numbers, for example.  On the
other hand, I have seen examples of web accessibility where attention is paid to a number of things that
affect other disabilities where we are specifically excluded because the pages used technology that
could not be easily repaired.  Like you, I've known other disabled persons who truly did not understand
that I could be independent.  However, I also recognize that there is a great deal I don't know about
other disabilities as well.  While I believe I may understand some of the frustrations experienced by
other disabilities, it would be wrong for me to think I can make decisions about them simply based upon
an understanding of their frustrations.  The same is true the other way around.  Our commonness with
other disabilities has to be tempered by our respective uniqueness.

I do not see you as arguing with any of my points, but I've seen other postings that indicate to me that
people don't keep what we all have common and what might be specific to blindness in perspective.  Your
note was simply the motivating factor to write about this some.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson