[nabs-l] Ipad use and comparison

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 25 22:42:47 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I’m considering getting a mainstream portable notetaking device. What is an Ipad like? Other than email/internet, what does it do?
How is the speech? Does it have a tactile overlay since it’s a touch screen? Also how does it compare to a laptop or one of our  braille notetakers such as a Braille Note?

I’m kind of behind in technology. All my technology is old except for jaws. Heck I bought a computer a year ago, so its old now! Considering that windows 8 will come out soon, I’m definitely going to be behind. I happen to like old technology too. Its simple and durable. I got cassettes that I’ve had 15 years that still work! But I realized I need a small notetaking device that is portable and can be carried easily in a purse or tote bag. Can an Ipad be connected to a regular keyboard? What about a braille display?

I have my indispensable Braille Note but that is also old and is a pain to lug around due to its size.
I will keep using the Braille Note until it crashes though. I cannot afford to upgrade to the Apex, and VR won’t help.
At least I was able to get a keysoft upgrade when it went in for repairs.
I thought since I don’t want an I phone that maybe an Ipad might be a good thing since I like to get emails and on trips need access to them.
I don’t use a phone that much and I’m not crazy about getting all those Aps to justify the expense.

So any thoughts about this. Thanks!

Ashley