[nabs-l] techniques for shopping and trends

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 02:58:25 UTC 2011

Sam,
Thanks. And that's the technique I was thinking of! As we know, shoes are
laid out on racks, in rows. I figured I could go up to one, for instance the
sandles if that interests me, and feel them. Then get a sales associate to
help me pick the size, color, etc from there. Actually, they are supposed to
help anyone; they will measure your feet to find out the right size.

We've gotten assistance for shoe fitting before, but family has done the
browsing. Glad to know another blind person does this. I have a little
vision, so may be able to see the colors and that will aid me in going to
the right shoe row.
My shoes are wearing out. I want some new blue easy spirit shoes to go with
slacks. And I need new sandles for next summer. So I definitely can do some
shoe shopping. IMO, since shoe department staff are expected to measure feet
and pick out shoes from the stock room my impression is they have more sales
staff on hand. I notice when shopping with my mother that its easy to get
help in the shoe department typically, but if you have a question in the
clothes department, you'll be waiting a long time! Sighted people need help
finding a size or a particular brand sometimes; after all department stores
are huge! But since the coporation wants to keep all the money, they are
stingy about hiring adaquate sales staff to assist customers. Another  good
thing about shoe departments or shoe stores is I've noticed their customer
service is overall better. If you need to order shoes, they take care of
that well. Clothes stores aren't the greatest; they may take your order, but
fail to notify you when its in or enter the rong thing in.

I wonder if new balance shoes or Niki are more popular.

Ashley