[nabs-l] Techniques for shopping and trends

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:44:19 UTC 2011

First of all, not every sighted person dresses fashionably, nor do they
wear colors or styles that flatter their figure. So this isn't
necessarily a sight vs. blindness issue.

Black, white and beige/tan/brown are nuetral colors that tend to look
good on anyone and can go with pretty much any color. Having basic items
in neutral colors is a good idea because you can mix and match them with
other items. For example, with black slacks, you can wear multiple tops
and shoes making a versitile outfit. These neutral items broaden your
wardrobe and can make numerous outfits with just a few basic tops and
bottoms.

If shorter and rounder, avoiding certain prints will be better. Like no
geometric patterns or large floral prints. You don't have to always
stick with solids, just be aware of what patterns aren't flattering.

V-neck tops are great for a slimming effect. They create an inverted
point that grows smaller on the way down, which is how the eye sees it.
It gives the illusion of being slimmer because of this, whereas some
neck lines accentuate the width, making the eye go out instead of down.

Of course wearing all black is usually slimming, but again, just because
you stick with a solid doesn't mean you don't search for a style and cut
that flatters.

Being short, wear anything that lengthens. Fitted pants and tunics would
be good on a short frame, and with dresses and skirts, either have
hemlines reach to your ankle or mid-thigh. Hemlines hitting your calves
or knees will tend to shorten rather than lengthen. Heels, even half an
inch to one inch of course help with height.

You can learn what colors flatter your skin tone. There are warm tones
and cool tones. Usually people are placed into a certain category such
as spring, summer, autumn and winter. Each season has its own set of
warm and cool tones. Once you know your season and tone, you can carry a
fabric swatch around when shopping to show sale clerks. Some people can
fit into more than one tone. I'm a summer/winter who can wear the warm
and cool tones. You want colors that accentuate and flatter your skin
tone, not wash you out or accentuate anything like blotchy skin.

There are plenty of resources that detail this kind of information.
Books and online material can be found.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: