[nabs-l] Techniques for shopping and trends

Koby Cox kobycox at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:47:27 UTC 2011

Bridget,
Can you please email me off list?
Thanks,
Koby.

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Bridgit Pollpeter
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:33 PM
To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Subject: [nabs-l] Techniques for shopping and trends

Arielle,

Well I can't speak for always being blind since I didn't lose my sight
until I was 22, but though I understand color and style from a visual
perspective, I can no longer make a judgment based on my own visual
understanding. I've had people tell me something looks really good on
me, but it just didn't feel right or comfortable. So it can be tricky,
and frustrating, to really determine independently if something looks
good.

The friends and family I shop with don't mind if I feel them up in the
fitting room or at home. I can obviously touch clothes and shoes to
discover texture, detail, cut, etc., and once on a person, I can get a
rough idea of how it "looks" on a person. I can feel how long or short
something is, what it's like once filled out, what the neckline is like,
etc. Of course, this requires you and the person you're with to be
comfortable enough to quite literally feel up.

Of course, the only guy I do this with is my husband! Smile. And
usually, when at a store, I'll just check length on pants and tops, how
tight or loose the waist is, and how a shirt fits across the shoulders.
Though we may be confortable with it, other shoppers may not appreciate
the blind couple feeling each other up in the fitting rooms. Can you
imagine? Although, having worked retail for years, I encountered some
crazy situations when it came to fitting room behavior! LOL

Anywhoo,  I don't think it's necessary to have a visual to understand
how something fits and "looks." Touch will show you a lot, and again, if
you learn certain terms and types of styles and fabrics, it may help you
better understand things. Regardless, as long as the person you're with
doesn't mind, touching can provide you with a ton of info when it comes
to clothes.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: