[nabs-l] Lack of Communication

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Fri Sep 9 15:42:24 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone,

This is a chronic problem all over the country so I don't blame him for
being frustrated. The best way for affiliate board members to avoid being
called out publically is to respond to member issues and concerns in a
timely manner. The fact that individuals were called out on this list is a
symptom of a serious problem in this organization. If the problem is fixed
this wouldn't happen and activities and federation business would be delt
with in a more timely manner.

    The excuse that these are busy people with other commitments beyond the
NFB is a sorry one indeed. What happened to task assignment, and designated
calling hours. If someone knows they're going to be busy they can ask
another chapter or board member to handle inquiries from affiliate members.
They could also designate specific times during the day for those wanting to
reach a human being rather than a voicemail box to do so. Likewise if
there's a project to be done such as organizing a student division, planning
to broadcast a state convention, etc, the chapter or state president can
assign another person to work with the individual or group carrying out the
project so they can attend to other affiliate matters and their non-NFB
life. E-mail and voicemail are great but not when your messages go
unanswered. There is too much of this going on in this organization around
the country and it needs to stop!

Peter Donahue