[nabs-l] Flying with a cane/exploring airports

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 20:49:14 UTC 2011

Arielle,

You bring up a very good point: Exploring a place like an airport is
actually a safe environment in which to explore. While many airports are
large in size, they are essentially a contained area. Unlike many
outdoor areas, an airport is enclosed so eventually, you have to turn
around, or there aren't moving vehicles, or you can't keep walking into
the sunset. Ha-ha! At some point, you start to walk in a circle!

Now, if you're using proper, safe cane techniques, outdoor travel really
isn't that difficult, but for many, learning in an enclosed space with
barriers, A. K. A walls, that will eventually keep you from traveling
the globe, though hopping on an airplane will accomplish this *grin* is
a less nerve-racking environment in which to practice independent travel
skills. True, there will be people, kiosks, seats, and a number of other
obstacles you have to navigate, but if you stop and calm down and think
about it, when using a cane properly, what's the worse thing that can
happen? You go the wrong direction? Big deal; you just figure your
direction out and keep moving!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 13