[nabs-l] Flying out of the country

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:10:20 UTC 2011

This is a really good question. I'm curious to hear other experiences
about traveling abroad. Airports may still hold to certain rights or
laws as we do in America, but countries themselves don't.

While visiting another country, a friend was outraged when he wasn't
allowed to enter places with his service dog. He ranted and raved about
rights and regulations, thankfully not in the presence of people from
this country, but I finally had to remind him that American laws don't
always apply in other countries. It was a sobering fact for a lot of
people because we hadn't really thought about it before.

Another blind person I know traveled to China to complete the process to
adopt a child from there. Disability, blindness in particular, is
apparently viewed as a curse in many Asian countries. I've never been
able to determine if this is an accepted concept, or just left-over
superstitious ideas steeped in a culture once adhering to such ideas, as
most cultures, ours included, once did. Regardless, it is now illegal
for blind people to adopt from most Asian countries.

Anyway, my friend and his newly adopted daughter were both blind, and
people would often follow them around shops or restaurants wiping
surfaces up they had touched to "get rid" of any trace of the "curse"
that could contaminate others. And this is if they were allowed inside
to begin with.

Let me follow this by saying I'm not posting with the intent to create
propaganda supporting racism or denouncing one culture; if this was my
intent, I'd begin with America. I simply am pointing out that once we
leave American soil, we don't always retain the same privileges and
rights afforded us here; of course many of these should be givens, hence
why I'd make America my first target on a pamphlet causing
anti-establishment propaganda . *smirk*

I wonder if others have encountered situations while visiting another
country, and how you handled it. I think it is important for us as blind
people to be aware of other cultures and how they view blindness, and
discover what, if any, rights we have to assert if finding ourselves in
sticky situations.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 21