[nabs-l] accessible video games

Juan Munoz jcmunoz1989 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 02:14:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,

My favorite games are the only games I know for sure I can play, and
those are fighting games, in particular, Mortal Kombat games. The
newer versions of these incorporate stereo surroundsound, meaning that
the location of my fighter is very easy for me to keep track of. I
grew up with some sight before losing it, and therefore was able to
play games like Tetris, Super Mario, and 007. I do get nastalgic when
I hear my nephews play newer versions of my childhood games, and often
wonder how these could be made accessible without taking away from the
enjoyment of both blind and sighted players. The only thing I can
think of is to at least have audible menu options read allowed by
either human or synthesized speech so that we can customise player
options, create online accounts on XBOX Live and PSN, etc. Beyond
this, I've got nothing, but wouldn't that be quite the huge leap
forward?

Respectfully,
JC