[nabs-l] handouts in class

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 20:04:06 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,

For RFB or other talking books, there's a go to page button that
you can use.  What player do you use? I know there is a go to
page button on the Stream and the NLS player.  In Braille books,
the print page numbers on the top right corner of the Braille
page.  So, using your example, I would open the book and look at
the right hand corners until you see the number 12.  A lot of
times, more than one Braille page makes up one print page, so the
transcribers will put a letter before the page number, for exaple
B12.  So, it's probably best to find the last page, for example,
of page 11 and then find the line in the middle of the page that
signifies that the print page is going to page 12, even in the
middle of the Braille page.  That is, if you have a hardcopy.
But I have found it pretty easy to go to a page in a paperless
book.  If you're using a DTB player, there should be a go to page
button.  On the Stream, it's the bottom right button, the pound
key on the phone-style keypad.  I'm not sure where it is on the
NLS player, since I don't have one, but I know there is one since
my friend has a player.  As to assignments, if possible, the
professor can email you the assignment.  I'm in 8th grade, and my
teachers do that.  I've set up a separate Gmail account only for
school emails, so they are separated from all the other emails I
get on my personal email, especially emails I get from this and
other lists I'm subscribed to on my personal email.  A professor
could also put an assignment on a thumb drive for you, and then
you can either read it on your notetaker (if you still have one)
or on your laptop (if you have one) with a screen reader.  You
could even scan it into an OCR program! If you have any
questions, please let me know.  Hope this helps!

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote