[nabs-l] Presentation Techniques

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:15:52 UTC 2012

Braille is useful, provided you have the time and energy to learn it. I've done presentations using Braille in the past. I've also used screen readers on computers and have recently used nothing but my iPhone and bluetooth earpiece. I no longer bother with Braille because I've found other methods less time consuming and more effective. I've lectured at college and university, presented at conferences, and testified at a Parliamentary legislative committee, and all without Braille. I'm not disparaging the use of Braille. If you can learn it and use it, all the power to you, I regret how much I resisted learning it as I was growing up, but you also shouldn't be made to feel that it is necessary in order to give a good presentation. And I realize no one said that it was necessary, but I think it's worth explicitly stating that it isn't.

If you use powerpoint, and it sounds like you will, you shouldn't simply read what's on the screen. Powerpoint is meant to supplement your presentation, not to be your presentation. In fact, you shouldn't read the presentation at all, unless you can read it in such a way that it doesn't actually sound like you're reading it. There is nothing worse than someone standing up at the front reading a paper, and it's unbelievable how often this happens at conferences.

Instead, if you really know the material, you can write down a few words to prompt you and keep you on track during the presentation. This is a little riskier and scarier because you have to form the sentences in your head rather than reading nice, complete, well organized sentences from a document, and you're more likely to jump a head of yourself when you're not simply reading a prepared presentation, but doing it this way sounds more natural and will be more engaging to your audience.

You can listen to these prompting words with jaws on your own laptop and simply use the keyboard or a remote to move from slide to slide on the school's laptop, or you can do the same with Voiceover on your iPhone. just indicate in your notes when to switch to the next slide.

The trick for listening and speaking at the same time is to keep each line of text to only a few words. If you try to listen to a complete line of text and say it back, you'll get half way through and then have to pause and listen again to get the second half of the line. If each line has only four or five words, though, you can keep them in your head while you're saying them, then simply arrow down or flick right to get to the next line and begin speaking what you here.

It can take a bit of practice to get the hang of this, and you'll still want to rehearse the presentation before you deliver it, but this presentation method can allow you to read long passages word for word, or even the entire presentation, without a lot of prep time. It's important to try to break the sentence up at places where you might pause briefly anyway, otherwise, you can have slight pauses that might sound awkward, and this is the part that takes a bit of practice, but it really doesn't take very long to figure out how to break things up in a way that works for you.

Hope that's helpful.

Marc