[nabs-l] new york advice on apartments

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:21:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,
William, I'm sorry to hear you've had such awful experiences with
rental discrimination. Fortunately I don't think that sort of thing is
too common. In my young adult life I have rented several apartments in
two states (AZ and CO) and over the course of that time, lived with
four different sighted roommates whom I did not know previously. None
of my roommates had any problem at all with my blindness, either when
I moved in or later on. There was one girl I tried to live with once
who did decide to share her place with someone else because she wasn't
comfortable with blindness. It was sad, but in hindsight I was
probably better off not getting into that living situation.
I have also never had any issues with landlords or landladies turning
me away because of blindness. If a rental company (i.e. apartment
complex) does this it is illegal and you have every right to file a
civil rights complaint against them. I did rent a basement apartment
from a homeowner a couple years ago and I was worried that since it
was an informal leasing arrangement, if she discriminated against me I
might not have legal recourse. As it turned out, the landlady had no
concerns about liability or safety, but she was a neat freak and
initially questioned whether I would be able to keep up the
cleanliness of the place without sight. This threw me for a loop at
first, but I assured her that I knew how to clean and had passed my
apartment inspections when I attended Louisiana Center for the Blind
(I guess those inspections are actually good for something!) I also
assured her that if the place became untidy or if any property was
damaged, I would take responsibility for either fixing the issues
myself or paying for new equipment, professional cleaning etc. This
seemed to satisfy her and we ended up having a very good rental
relationship, so much so that she offered to negotiate so my boyfriend
and I could stay in the place when we decided to live together.
Although it is sad that I had to jump through this extra hoop to get
the place I wanted, I do think that most discrimination can be avoided
if we convey confidence and willingness to take responsibility for any
problems that may arise.
I have had my mother co-sign leases for me when I wasn't earning the
minimum income required by the lease, including once when I was living
in CO and she was in AZ, so this should be an option even if your
parents are out-of-state. Often the minimum income is much higher than
the amount you actually need to be able to afford the place. For
example, one place where I lived required me to be earning at least
three times as much as rent was. I was only earning about twice as
much as rent, but I'm not a big spender, so it was OK for me to be
spending half my income on rent. So my mom co-signed the official
documents but didn't actually help me pay the rent since I had enough
income to spare. You should review the rental application and lease
carefully to make sure you understand what is or is not required.
I think using Craigslist is fine, so long as you go check the place
out and meet the potential roommates, if any, in person first. You'll
know if they're legit pretty easily-just use common sense.
Best,
Arielle