[nabs-l] citing APA style

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 22:36:32 UTC 2012

Hi Ashley,
Sometimes the screen reader reporting changes in font on the internet is unreliable.  You are correct that you alphabetize entries by the last name of the first author for each work.

I will paste a sample journal entry with correct formatting and will then include a description in case the format doesn't survive through email.

Wright, T., Wormsley, D. P., & Kamei-Hannan, C. (2009). Hand movements and braille reading efficiency: Data from the Alphabetic Braille and Contracted Braille Study. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 103, 649-661.

Also, according to the latest version of APA, you technically don't need the issue numbers in your citations, but if you want to include them, here is a second example:
Ryles, R., & Bell, E. (2009). Participation of parents in the early exploration of tactile graphics by children who are visually impaired. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness, 103(10), 625-634.

Now for a description.
• The citation starts with the author(s) names, last comma first and middle initials.  Note that the & symbol and not the word and is used before the name of the last author.
• Next is the year of publication, surrounded by parentheses with a period after the closing parenthesis.
• Next comes the title of the article, no quotation marks or italics, just plain text.  The title should be followed by a period.
• Next is the title of the journal, which is in italics.
• The journal title is followed by the volume number, which is also in italics.  The issue number (optional) comes next and is in parentheses.  The parentheses and issue number are not in italics. • Immediately after the volume/issue is a comma and a space, followed by the page numbers for the article.  Page numbers are also in plain text and followed by a period.

I hope this was helpful.  I know how much of a pain this stuff can be.  It took me a few months to get it all ironed out after switching from the Turabian citation style.

Best of luck.

-Greg