[nabs-l] citing APA style

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:49:56 UTC 2012

Hello Jush,

I hate to break it to you but your laid back professor is doing more
harm than good.

If you are writing academic papers, you will be required to cite your
sources, and format properly. I suspect the class does not require
research, and therefore does not call for formatting.

Turn in a paper full of misspelled words, and poorly written sentenses,
and you may find out how much this professor does care. If he does not,
he's the one that should be gone from teaching.

Now, I hate taxes, I hate polution, I hate discrimination, I hate many
things I guess. Dislike is more accurate. One of the things on the list
of dislikes is citing work in my papers. But this is a required skill of
college work. We must learn to cite either from memory or from referring
to a style book. There is no getting around it, and no excuse for
getting away with not doing it.

That is not to say we don't use a variety of ways toaccomplish the task.
One strategy I use is to write out a sheet in braille listing and giving
examples of how to cite correctly. In this way I need not learn the
skill from some web source each time I write a paper. I simply review my
notes on it.

I write my papers. I put my parenthetical notations in, and write my
works cited page. I do not format the final draft. I pay a reader to
spend 10 minutes with me and the paper, and format the thing. The reader
does things I probably could learn to do myself, like hang indent
entries on the works cited page.

10 minutes. Email the paper to the reader, call her up on the phone, ask
how the paper looks, and instruct her to make minor tweaks, save, and
send it back to me.

This works for me, and I find it time and money well-spent. Not to
mention I can run the work by another reader, and get some feedback like
Ashley suggested.

I would call this a short cut, and it is one I will likely take through
most of my paper-writing career.

I hate to break the news, but many presentations given by academics have
been assembled by an administrative assistants.

After all, the professor, researcher, or presenter's job it to think and
communicate the message, not to be fussing with powerpoint, Word, or
some other tool.

These are just my thoughts, so I am not citing any other source in this
message.

Now cite often, and cite well.

Antonio