[nabs-l] Job Hunting

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:28:19 UTC 2012

Gloria,
It does sound like  you are handling things well.  I would only add a couple of things to the advice already given.

First, be sure to emphasize any experience you do have in the area.  You talked about explaining how you would do something (future tense) but hearing you explain how you have already done something would be more powerful to a potential employer.

Second, if you can find a way to portray your blindness as a strength instead of a disadvantage, liability, etc., it could really turn things around for you in an interview.  For example, I have been applying for jobs as a teacher of students who are blind and visually impaired and have been able to use my experiences as a blind student as a selling point in my interviews.  I realize that not every position lends itself as easily to this kind of thing, but if you can draw from unique personal experiences you have had related to being blind that have shaped your approach to your field of study, it could be a powerful tool for changing perceptions.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.  Try not to be discouraged.  Your blindness does not impact your ability to work with  youth.

-Greg