[nabs-l] food courts and counter restaurants

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 01:31:37 UTC 2012

Hi all,
While I don't see anything wrong with requesting help when it is truly
necessary, I do think there are ways to get help that are less
burdensome to fellow customers and staff. For example, at a drink
fountain, we can do the actual cup-filling ourselves; the only thing
we need help with is finding the dispenser we want. If I need to fill
my drink, I will find the fountain myself, get a cup, ask a passer-by
which dispenser the drink I want is coming from, then fill the cup
myself. I think this is much less burdensome on a stranger who is
already by the fountain anyway to read the dispenser for me than it is
for them to get my drink. Same with finding a table; I don't ask
someone to "take me to a seat". Instead I walk up to a table that has
people already at it, ask "Is there room at this table?" or "Is there
an empty table next to you?" Oftentimes the seated customers can give
me verbal directions to an empty table without getting up themselves.
There is a technique for holding a tray with one hand against your
hip. It's a little clunky to learn, but it works. Another strategy is
to order your food "to go" in a paper bag that can be easily carried
in your hand or backpack. You can put silverware in your pocket or
under your plate or on your tray.
If I go to a restaurant where you sit down and then get called up to
get your food, and I am by myself, I will often stand off to the side
so that I can find my table after getting my food. If I am with other
people (blind or sighted) I will sit with them, get up and grab my
food when it is ready, then call out to them to find my table again.
Some blind people are good enough travelers to keep track of where
their table is but I'm not quite good enough to be able to do it
reliably.
Food courts and cafeterias can be a little intimidating but they are
definitely something we can manage independently.
Best,
Arielle