[nabs-l] Advanced foreign language advice needed

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 21 22:40:53 UTC 2012

Aleeha,
Sounds like a handful. I would not be able to read notes on a laptop, take
notes and listen at the same time even if it was in english!
What teaching style does she use? I only took foreign language in high
school; I would not want to try in college due to no braille availability.
In high school I was accomodated with hard copy braille and braille texts
which was vital to my success; college you have to do auditorily.

What I'd suggest is not reading the class notes in class. Do you need to
read them for a worksheet or group activity? If so, could someone else read
them with you? Sometimes my professors have a study guide but I follow
auditorily since I ask the professor to speak out the questions before going
over them. If in a group of students, I try and get them to read the handout
to me so I can participate.
Instead of in class, get any handouts ahead of time and read them. If you
feel you need them in class, is it possible to put the handout file on your
braille note and switch files from your notes and class notes?

Another idea which might be quicker for accessing notes is to emboss the
class notes. Do you have an embosser of yours or the schools?
I find that i can  skim a hard copy document faster than a braille display
file.
Also recording class might help. Another idea, which many would disagree
with, is have a notetaker. Your school should provide a notetaker upon
request for you. Languages classes go fast and I think it would be hard to
take notes as fast as they go especially when other students can copy notes
from the board or slide at their pace and you have to do it
right as the teacher talks.

HTH,
Ashley