[nabs-l] Advanced foreign language advice needed

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 00:00:22 UTC 2012

Hi Aleeha,
I have only taken foreign language up to the 200 level, so feel free
to take this with a grain of salt if I am way off-base here. But I am
wondering how important it is to read the PowerPoint slides at all. In
my experience with college classes, including upper-level science
classes, all or virtually all of the critical information was conveyed
either out loud during class, or in the textbook/homework assignments.
In four and a half years I think I read a PowerPoint once and that was
because I missed class. Lest you think I was a slacker, I will say I
earned a competitive GPA without reading any PowerPoint slides. On the
other side of the coin, when I have given lectures as a teaching
assistant or presented research at conferences, I never put things on
slides that I don't discuss verbally. I don't read my slides word for
word, but the slides serve as an outline to guide the class or
conference audience while I verbalize what's important for them to
understand. In other words, my spoken presentation is more detailed
than my slides. I would never test a class on stuff I put on the
PowerPoint that I didn't talk about because I don't think we should
test students on how well they can memorize things. Anyway, if your
professor doesn't read the PowerPoint slides it could be because that
stuff just isn't that important for keeping up with the class. It's
great that she reads the board out loud. I think what I would suggest
is to concentrate on writing down notes from what she is saying out
loud, and then when you are studying by yourself, look at the
PowerPoint to see if there's anything else in there that you didn't
get from the verbal lecture. I think that strategy is much easier than
trying to focus on the PowerPoint and the verbal at the same time, and
if you have the PowerPoint on your laptop to study when you aren't
rushed, you shouldn't miss anything.
Hope that helps,
Arielle