[nabs-l] GRE Prep

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:55:56 UTC 2012

Hi Gloria and all,
Gloria, I took the GRE in Oct. of 2011, and here are some study tips
that helped me do pretty well.
1. Since you are taking the general test, bookshare actually has the
most recent Princeton Review GRE study guides. You can download them
in a number of formats and use them. I really like Princeton Review,
but Learning Ally also has an audio of the Kapplan study guide.
2. Learn lots and lots and lots of words! I made Braille flash cards
for myself, where i would put the word on one side and the definition
on the other. I put them all in zip-lock bags and wherever I went I'd
pull them out. Bookshare has  the Word Smart book, which is published
by Princeton Review. There is a section on GRE words. Also, if you are
interested I have a rather extensive Excel workbook with a ton of
words and definitions.
 which was compiled by a brilliant friend of mine.
3. I think that the math is the hardest to study with on a Braille
Note or just using Jaws. if your college offers tutoring, you should
consider meeting with a tutor and going over those basic concepts. Gre
math isn't hard, it's just math you haven't used since you were in
high school, so alot of times it's just a matter of remembering how to
do things.
4. Lastly, definitely get the Braille materials from ETS.
Unfortunately, they only have the one Braille GRE sample, so you
should use that as a diagnostic test before you begin your studies.
And, maybe closer to the date try taking it again, hopefully you'll
have forgotten enough that it won't be like, oh, I remember the answer
to this question. Lol.
On the topic of practice GREs, Bookshare does have quite a few books
that publish practice GREs, so definitely use those!
Good luck! I never took the new GRE, but if you develop a study plan
and stick to it, you'll do well. It's all about knowing how to take
the test.
Sincerely,
Mary F

--