[nabs-l] Problem with library databases

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 16:01:37 UTC 2012

Dear Antonio,
I've got some good news and some bad news...the good news is that the
EBSCO tech support people know about the problem and are working on
it. The bad news is that it will take a lot of time and in the
meantime, EBSCO library databases are inaccessible to JAWS users. This
is due to an update they installed over the Thanksgiving holiday. I,
too, was having trouble with my school's library database access. I
could put in search results, but the window would be blank after that.
This is *not* a JAWS issue, but due to an update that they made that
they didn't check with accessible technology before implementing. It
also is not going to make a difference what internet browser you use.
I've tried Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. None
work.

Until they fix the problem that makes it inaccessible to the blind, we
will have to use readers for researching with EBSCO. This is extremely
annoying, I know. I had to schedule a three-hour research time with a
reader yesterday so I could get articles for a research paper I'm
working on. Now, if those articles don't work, I'll have to wait and
schedule another time after the weekend rather than just going into it
on my own. You should talk to your school's disability services office
and see if someone can work with you as a reader for research. If not,
you'll need to find someone willing to take time out at this rough
end-of-semester time to help you, which I doubt will be easy.

This seems to be a trend in technology, to update to an inaccessible
version and after getting complaints, they work on retrofitting the
update to allow for accessible technology. It's extremely frustrating,
and I plain and simple hate it.

Anyway, there's my take on it. It's not just you, Antonio, but all
EBSCO library databases (such as NC Live, which is what I use).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Jewel