[nabs-l] Braille Highlighters?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 19:08:12 UTC 2012

Personally I never understood the utility of highlighting in
textbooks. Actually when I tutor sighted students I encourage them to
take notes on a passage instead  of highlighting the relevant
sections. When you write a summary of what you are reading, or even
just copy  key phrases verbatim, your brain is engaging more deeply
with the material than if you just mark something as important and
come back to it later. Eventually your goal should be to commit
important points to memory rather than having to review highlights
over and over again, and one way to incrase your retention of material
is to actively process it by summarizing it in your own words or at
least writing it down. If you are concerned about a Braille notetaker
or computer crashing, back up your notes regularly, even daily if you
want to. I find notetaking an extremely effective way to glean the
important points out of a piece of reading and then review only those
important points, instead  of having to go through the textbook over
and over again to review highlights. If I am missing something and you
actually know of a good reason  why highlighting is helpful, please
let me know so I  can give my students more balanced information.
Best,
Arielle