[nabs-l] described videos

Courtney Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:26:00 UTC 2012

Hi all:

There is another, far more reliable source for descriptive films, and
these films come on DVDs, as Ashley originally requested.

I'm not entirely sure on specifics in terms of how far this service's
archives go back, so it may not have *everything* that you wanted
Ashley, though I know it has at least the last three Harry Potter
movies, and it's an invaluable resource for newer films.

A law was passed in the United Kingdom, ensuring that all films (this
excludes DVD releases of seasons of telivision series' unfortunately)
produced after a certain year (and this is where my recollection of
dates becomes hazy) were required to have DVS services included.  They
are standard DVDs, bought easily from Amazon.co.uk.

The DVS can easily be turned on or off, if a sighted individual finds
it intrusive.  It is in the language options within the main DVD menu.
 It's iether the first or second option, so easily navigable.  As long
as a blind user memorized what steps were required through their DVD
remote, it is possible to turn the service on or off.

I would imagine that a quick Google search of UK descriptive films
would net you some concrete information regarding how far back you can
expect the description to be present.  One final tidbit: Many films
that are rereleases of older films also have description, seeing as
the rerelease now falls under the law.  So, while the original might
not, if the rerelease falls within the timeline of the law, it's a
very good garuntee that it will.  All films that I've ever attempted
to purchase after the law's passage have had description; they are a
bit more expensive, of course, due to the exchange rate, but that's a
small price to pay, imho.
Courtney