[nabs-l] asking for advice on problem at school

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 23:41:07 UTC 2012

When I was in elementary school, I had kids stealing books from me,
throwing erasers in my hair, pulling chairs out from under me, you
name it, they did it. The worst part was that most times, my teachers
were right there, and refused to do anything about it, because they
too were uncomfortable with my blindness, so why should they
intervene? I say this because it wasn't so long ago that this happened
to me. I grew up in the 90's, before bullying was the huge deal it is
now, but still close enough to the events of Columbine that it wasn't
completely unheard of either. And it was as "unacceptable" then as it
is now. Yes, I put unacceptable in quotes, because guess what, it
happens every day and so little of it is actually dealt with.
Meanwhile, things that are no real problem at all are resulting in
criminal records, such as a case I heard about recently where a boy
gave his friend a hug in school and was charged with sexual
harassment. I forget their exact ages, but they were young, elementary
school age. And yet, kids are driven to suicide, depression, drugs,
and every other dysfunction in the book, because they're bullied
mercilessly every day and no one will do anything about it.
Why do I say all this? I say it because I hope your school isn't like
mine was. I hope that someone in authority actually cares. I hope that
it doesn't escalate, because most kids have a cruel streak. I think
it's true what they say about the impulsiveness of adolescents--it's
human nature to be cruel, and at that age, most of us haven't learned
how to control those impulses or aggressions, making them the most
prone not only to selfishness and thoughtlessness, but to almost
animal rage, not to mention an inability to see beyond their own
actions to how they might be affecting others. My point is, people
like this have to be stopped. Perhaps if something can get through to
them while they're still young and impressionable, they might not grow
up to be tomorrow's criminals. Or maybe they will, who knows. But I've
seen enough to know what usually happens in these situations, even if
it was 15 years ago; and, in saying that, I hope things have evolved
at least a little bit since then. It makes me sick to read messages
like this. I hope for your sake that these small actions do not go
untouched. Right now this kid is probably testing the waters, seeing
just how much he can get away with. If he can steal a pack of gum, so
to speak, he may try to steal a candy bar next, then a bag of chips,
and on and on it goes, you get the picture.