[nabs-l] Braille Under Siege As Blind Turn To Smartphones

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:56:32 UTC 2012

Hi Anjelina and everyone,

Although there is technology out there which can help us access
information a lot faster than Braille, there is still an
importance, in my opinion, to Braille.  Yes, there is technology
that we can use, but I don't think it can replace Braille as a
form of literacy.  I believe that as print is the form of
literacy for the sighted, Braille is the form of literacy for the
blind.  Perhaps the best way for me to express my opinions on
this issue is to paste here a submission I wrote for the Readers'
Forum of the Matilda Ziegler Magazine for the Blind, in response
to previous posts in that Forum which expressed mixed feelings
about the importance of Braille.  What are your thoughts on this?

Chris

This is the Readers' Forum submission:

Braille:

There is an interesting debate within the blindness community and
in the community of people working with us regarding Braille and
its importance in the digital world in which we live.  There is
no question that we have seen a remarkable advancement in
technology, including technology for the blind, and this
technology will continue to advance and become more accessible.
Although a lot of information isn't accessible to us, just look
at what we have in the way of technology that could easily make
Braille obsolete: notetakers, screen readers, iDevices with
VoiceOver, etc.  All this technology is very good and allows us
to access information like never before; don't get me wrong
there.  But it can't replace Braille! There is technology; there
is audio; there are ways out there for us to access books besides
hardcopy Braille; but in my opinion there is nothing that can
replace Braille literacy.  Yes, you can read books using audio
(human-produced or synthesized,) but that's not literacy! Anybody
who is familiar with the English language (or whatever language
the audiobook is produced in) enough to listen to a person
talking can do that! But literacy, in my opinion, is the ability
to communicate effectively and efficiently using some system of
reading and writing.  Even in today's technologically-driven
society, there is still a huge emphasis placed on literacy; most
jobs require you to be able to read; you're definitely not going
to get into any kind of college without being able to read;
literate people are typically regarded in society as educated and
so are much more respected than those who can't read.  Even the
technology that sighted people use is all print-based, in that
the sighted user must read the print on the screen to get at any
information on the computer/mobile device and to operate the
device.  So, we really are the only people whose form of literacy
(and the teaching of it) is effected negatively by advancements
in technology.  However, this technology, in my view, doesn't
even come close to making Braille obsolete.  As print is the form
of literacy for the sighted, so Braille is the form of literacy
for the blind! I believe we still need Braille and that it is
very important to us! If you ask anybody who says we don't need
Braille anymore the question: "So should we stop teaching sighted
children print," you'd most likely get a resounding "No!" So why
should we eliminate our form of literacy just because there's
technology that can replace it? Braille is still our form of
literacy, and I think eliminating it or stopping the teaching of
it would place all blind people at a severe disadvantage to their
sighted peers.

Chris Nusbaum
Taneytown, Maryland

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan