[nabs-l] Learning Ally again

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:04:01 UTC 2012

gloria,

I understand your point about being positive, but finding a good thing does
not excuse Learning Ally's oversight of access and usability of their
product to their clients.

I have skipped reading many messages in this thread because the focus has
not been on solving the issues we have but elsewhere.

Our frustrations are valid. I started this thread with the fortunate comment
that this must have been an oversight on the part of learning Ally.

While LA will not do a thing to shut off blind users from using the sight on
purpose, they did not put enough thought into rolling out the new site
features. I think they rather make everything ready for the differently
abled, and overlooked the different abilities and needs of screen reader
users.

The point is that they did shut off the blind users, and if you can't get to
your books, you can't enjoy any future efforts to make books accessible.

The non-proffit should and will be held responsible for making the use of
their books nearly impossible for blind people who do not take precise
measures to download and use their new book manager.

Is there book manager inaccessible? No it is not. I will be the first to
tell you I've seen reports of frustrated blind users who can not download
and play materials successfully. In the other hand I will tell you I did so
listen to materials successfully on my player of choice the very next day I
started this discussion. It took a simple call to Learning Ally and a
conversation with one of their customer service reps.

Another call alerted upper management of the problems we have. many posts,
and I suspect, letters later, the problem may still be unsolved.

If you want to get at your books I suggest you call and talk to somebody who
can help. And if you'd like to gain better access then reach someone there
who can bring about change.

Here is a FaceBook update to my wall regarding this.

I spoke with one of Learning Ally's staff and they helped me navigate to
their new download process. It works well once you get to it.

I don't have knowledge of how to do this independently since the site is
still very cumbersome, and suggest people call in if they need tech support.

***

Another exchange said

So just going to your bookshelf and choosing a book from it to download
isn't the way to get to the easy-to-use downloading?
You are correct. You must download and set up the new download manager
software, set up your device, victor reader, Book Sense, etc. The book shelf
will tell you what books you have ready to download. You right arrow from
the book title and select it, then press the download button, choose a
folder within your device if you wish, and the magic happens. It makes more
sense once you actually do it, but it isn't difficult once someone actually
tells you the procedure.
Sincerely,

Antonio