[nabs-l] Windows Media Player and WinAmp questions

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 00:15:50 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I am having some problems/questions with/about Windows Media
Player and WinAmp that I hope you can help with.

1.  Whenever I try to play a file from the Internet, either a
live radio stream or a recorded MP3 or M3U file, it starts to
play, then about 5 seconds into the file, a dialog will come up
which says: "Windows media player dialog: Windows Media Player
has stopped working.  Windows is trying to identify the
problem...  Windows is checking online for a solution.  Close
program button." I tried playing some music that was in my
Windows Media Player library already, with the same result.  How
can I fix this and what might be wrong with the player?
2.  After hearing good reviews from blind people about the
accessibility and ease of use of Winamp, I downloaded the latest
version of that program.  My friend told me that when I
downloaded the program, WinAmp would set itself as my default
player.  However, when I go to listen to a stream from the
Internet, it still wants to play in Windows Media Player, but
that doesn't work because of the problem I described above.  So
how do I manually tell my computer to play everything in WinAmp
by default?
3.  Is there a way in Winamp and/or Windows Media Player to
control the volume of audio playing through the media player
without effecting the volume of the whole computer? One of the
problems I have when playing media files is that I can't do
anything else on my computer while media is playing, as the audio
in whatever file I'm listening to drowns out JAWS so much that I
can't hear JAWS.  But if I press and hold the F9 key, it lowers
the volume of all audio coming out of the computer; that of the
audio file and that of JAWS.  So how do I lower the media volume
without lowering JAWS's volume so I can listen to music in the
background and still do something on my computer?
4.  (and final) How do I tell Windows Media Player to download a
file from the Internet onto my computer rather than stream it?
How do I do the same in WinAmp? I'm using the latest versions of
Windows Media Player and WinAmp, Windows 7 and JAWS 12.

I hope you can help me with some or all of these questions! Sorry
for the long email with so many questions to answer.
Thanks,

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan