[nabs-l] why is it important to join an organization of the blind?

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 04:13:53 UTC 2012

Hi, Chris,

Just as you and other organized, blind folk are allowed to thrive due
to a comradery with others who lend support, a home made up of people
with whom you identify, there are those who prefer to operate without
the emotional/benefit, of an organization. Is there not room, for
everyone, here?
I find it a little, creepy your trying to lay a template made up of
your own beliefs upon other blind people. Not every, single blind
person wants everything the Federation is, in there lives.
for today, Car" to one organization; some say they don't agree with
either organization's philosophy and don't want to identify
themselves with either organization and their philosophy, and there
are other reasons as well.  I try to explain to them the value of the
Federation in my life, and how joining an organization of the blind
connects you with a diverse network of resources, who can help answer
almost any question they would have related to blindness.  I also try
to explain to them that if they had any problems, being a part of an
organization would help them with their advocacy efforts; the more
people you have advocating, the more effective the advocacy is.  But
they still don't want to be affiliated with an organization.  So I
want to get your thoughts on these questions; why do you think it is
important to be a member of an organization of the blind? Of what
benefit/value is an organization to its members, and to blind people
at large? Some people have said to me, "Sighted people don't have any
organizations dedicated to their concerns as sighted people; why
should I join an organization dedicated to blindness?" Still others
have said, "Don't you (Federationists) want to be equal with sighted
people? If so, then why do we (blind people) need to be organized in
some kind of organization exclusively of and for the blind and people
associated with the blind?" These are some interesting questions;
what would your responses be to those people? I look forward to
hearing your thoughts on this!