[nabs-l] why is it important to join an organization of the blind?

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:12:43 UTC 2012

I don't think anybody is trying to force beliefs on people, and I really
don't see what is "creepy" about the question or topic. I think it is each
individual's prerogative to join any organization that represents their
interest, or none at all. It seems pretty clear to me though that the lives
of all blind individual's have been demonstrably improved by the existence
of the NFB, which, of course, wouldn't exist without "joiners."

Belonging to an organization does not mean that one endorses everything that
organization does, nor does it mean that an individual has a particular set
of beliefs. It simply means that one sees enough benefit in the organization
and its work to decide to support it. I don't agree with the NFB on
everything, nor do I agree with the Democratic party on everything,
nonetheless I count myself as a member of each. If somebody thinks that
dictates my thoughts and beliefs, they would be wrong. My thoughts and
beliefs dictate which organizations I choose to join, support and work for.

As to the ridiculous notion that sighted folks don't have organizations,
they surely do. There are organizations for virtually every interest under
the sun. Trade groups, unions, interest groups aligned around political and
public policy issues of all stripes exist to unify the voices of folks with
common interests. That is the way our system of government, and indeed the
world in general, works. Refusal to join with others with similar interests
is acceptance of having no voice on issues that affect you. That is, by the
way, completely fine. Some folks don't have any interests pressing enough to
give up their time, money and resources to attempt to influence outcomes,
but their lack of interest in doing so doesn't somehow equate to moral high
ground. Of course there is no National Association of the Sighted, but this
reflects the fact that the vast majority of people are sighted. There is no
issue there around which to rally. You had better bet that if half the
population were sighted and the other half blind, and if the interests of
the sighted and blind clashed in any meaningful way, the sighted and blind
alike would have organizations to allow them to speak with one voice an
issues of import.

In addition to being a vehicle for collective action, the NFB is an extended
network of support. It is extremely valuable to have folks to consult with
when faced with an issue related to blindness. It keeps each of us from
having to reinvent the wheel each time something new comes up. This, of
course, is a model not at all unique to the blind. There are analogous
networks for people in certain trades, with particular diseases, or with
similar interests and hobbies. Nearly anywhere you find a diffuse and
relatively small group of people in similar circumstances or in need of
similar information, you will find an attempt at a support network like that
which we enjoy in the NFB.

So, lest anybody buy into the line that says those who join the NFB, or any
other organization, are mindless automatons without their own beliefs,
opinions and convictions, please remember that organizing to share
information and influence events in the world in which we live is in no way
unique to the blind. If people don't want to join anything, and blind people
in particular don't want to join NFB or ACB, that is 100% alright. But let's
not accept the misguided notion that their refusal to do so is rooted in
some moral superiority, rugged individualism or strength of conviction. A
refusal to be a "joiner" simply indicates that a person has other things
going on in their lives which are more important to them. Again, a.ok, but
never doubt the value of the work done by the organized blind movement. Even
those who have never given a thought to involving themselves, presumably,
are grateful when social services doesn't take their babies, they have the
opportunity to attain meaningful employment, and their rights to travel and
participate in society are protected.

Sean