[nabs-l] Why is it important to join an organization of the blind?

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:21:47 UTC 2012

Great points, Bridgit! Thank you!

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Bridgit Pollpeter <bpollpeter at hotmail.com
To: <nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:56:34 -0600
Subject: [nabs-l] Why is it important to join an organization of
the blind?

Chris,

You pose very interesting and valid questions.  Most of us have
met
people who are blind and adopt a similar attitude as the people
you
describe.  There are many reasons why people do and do not join
an
organization, but we must look at what the purpose of these
organizations are.

First, sighted people do develop, promote and advocate for many
issues.
Now, most of these groups have a blend of people with plenty of
diversity, but many ethnic and racial groups have organizations
dedicated to serving minorities and the issues and causes
important to
them.  As a type 1 diabetic, I've been involved in diabetic
groups
advocating for better care, encouraging research and providing
education; I did this sighted.  There are other health-related
groups
doing similar work.  And the list goes on and on.  We often fail
to see
the other perspective especially with blindness.  People focus on
this,
forgetting many organizations exist doing similar work.  The
Federation
is not unique in terms of an advocacy group promoting causes and
initiatives.

Now, the initial goals of the Federation were to promote
independence,
work towards changing attitudes and serving as a political
platform for
blind causes led by those with the experience of being blind.
So, first
and foremost, a group like the NFB is dedicated to political
activism
and advocacy.  Despite the growing number of divisions within the
Federation catering to various interests, the priority of the
Federation
has always been to promote and advocate the ideas and causes
important
to Federation members.

That we meet other blind people, having opportunities to network,
is
essential to the growth and success of the Federation because we
need
each generation to adopt healthy, positive mindsets about
blindness.  The
social aspect, however, is secondary to the political element.
Not
everyone joins to be politically active.  In my experience, a
majority of
people join the Federation purely for social reasons, though many
eventually come to understand the importance of an active voice
advocating for equal rights and fair treatment of the blind.
This has
been debated again and again, but at the fundamental level, an
organization like the NFB is similar to those groups fighting for
equality among other minority groups.  We've been labeled
second-class
citizens for years, not always given opportunities and our
abilities are
questioned and doubted.  So we stand up and demand equality.

That we have a chance to network and ask questions of those with
experience, is a benefit to joining the Federation.  You have a
support
system backing you, ready to help in any way.  For example, we've
heard a
lot about law students denied bar exams in an accessible mode
they
prefer.  The Federation has stepped in to take legal action,
assisting
those law students and others to come.  The couple in Missouri
whose
newborn was taken by CPS a couple of years ago for no reason
other than
both parents were blind.  The Federation also stepped in to help
take
legal action along with the couple.  As technology grows, we
struggle
more and more as blind consumers to use current technology due to
the
lack of accessibility.  Again, the NFB is fighting to change
this,
demanding equal access for all consumers.  As well as taking
legal
action, the Federation provides advocacy and education.

Many feel Federationist are Nazi-like in their fervor about
independence.  True, many are more combative which does not lead
to a
nurturing environment allowing others to adopt independent
ideals.  The
truth is, though, that the NFB supports independence in any way
providing you with efficiency.  Unfortunately, many of us could
benefit
from alternative techniques, which many refuse to learn or use on
regular basis.  In my experience, and having once been a
"partial," often
the alternative skills truly do make one more efficient than
using
useable vision, and this is why the Federation seems, at times,
to be
against sight, but it's actually the contrary.  If you're being
independent, living your life, not caving into stereotypes and
negative
attitudes, the Federation supports this way of life.  The
Federation
expects us to grow and challenge ourselves as ours peers
challenge us
likewise.  This is one of the huge differences I see between the
NFB and
other organizations of the blind; we're not expected to stay
where we
are; we're urged to move forward, carving a path before us,
challenging
ourselves to strive for new and greater heights.

So why am I a Federationist? Because I'm not content to sit idly
by
letting others make decisions for me.  I'm not content to feel
entitled
to services, legislation and technology that I had no say in, no
contribution to changes.  I don't want to watch a chef cook, I
want to
roll my sleeves up and get my hands in the mix.  Networking with
fellow
blind people and learning what we are all doing is great, but I
want to
affect change, and I want to be a part of that change.  It's not
about
isolating ourselves from society and forming an elite group made
up of
people who are blind; it's in fact about encouraging and
fostering
integration.  We are people with dreams, desires and interests;
that we
are blind is but one attribute of our being.  I wasn't always
blind, and
when I lost my sight, I didn't change who I am.  My interest and
goals
are the same; I now just accomplish certain things with different
methods and tools at times.

We all have to decide what we believe in and why.  I believe it's
important to analyze and question beliefs and ideas in order to
truly
digest it.  Only then can we form decisions based on our own
ideas and
opinions rather than any thoughts and opinions thrust on us
whether
unwillingly or not.  I think we all need to understand that the
Federation's priority is advocacy and education; when we know
this, it
can make it easier to explain the Federation and its purpose.
Despite
the plethora of members affiliated predominantly for social
reasons ,
this does not change the goals and direction of the collective
group, of
the heart.  We've not been accepted as equals, as people just as
capable,
so we created an organization dedicated to breaking barriers and
demanding equality just like many other groups.  Anyone curious
about the
Federation, wanting to join, should understand that first and
foremost,
the Federation is a political group determined to use advocacy,
legislation and education to change what it means to be blind,
and fight
for our equality.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter