[nabs-l] Why is it important to join an organization of the blind?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:10:34 UTC 2012

Chris, Sean, Arielle and others,

I think each of you have hit the nail on the head. Perhaps, and this is
not the first time I've had this thought, referring to a "philosophy" of
blindness is too closely associated with religion or philosophical
schools of thought, which it is, but not to the extent in which some
think. I can't tell you how many people I meet, sighted and blind, who
hear philosophy of blindness and this phrase alone is what turns them
off. Certainly some Federationist, along with members of other
organizations, have the fervor of an evangelist, but this concept is
strictly related to how we view blindness and what we think blind people
can accomplish. Nothing more; no connection to religious views, no
association politically other than political issues specific to
blindness, no connotations on morals or what constitutes "good" and
"bad" people. Maybe though, we need to consider a new word or phrase so
immediate lines are not drawn to other definitions and ideas about what
"philosophy" means.

We all have varying personalities and degrees of interest. As blind
people, we know our interest and personalities are as varied and vast as
those who are not blind. Advocacy and political activism come naturally
for some while others, for a myriad of reasons, are not interested in or
comfortable with the role of activist and advocate. Some find a way to
advocate in nontraditional ways or non-political ways such as community
involvement, creative writing, art or simply living their life. Some
seek a social outlet in which to meet like-minded people and many are
eager for information. I've heard stories about people learning about
the Federation simply by researching blindness. Many of us join
organizations like the NFB and grow into different roles as we progress
as a human and as a blind person. As pointed out, some have to
prioritize their lives and simply can't always make the Federation a top
priority all the time.

Many people join organizations like the Federation for a plethora of
reasons, and as Sean points out, there's no Litmus scale measuring
superiority or what reason is more important than others. Like in the
world in general, some have political interest, others don't; some
people use artistic expressions to relay emotions and concepts, others
just enjoy being creative for no deeper reason than it brings joy to
them and others; some enjoy participating in interest and activities
with like-minded peers, while others don't feel a necessity to see out
social settings this way. We follow the same path in the Federation or
any organization working to bring awareness and equality to the world.

Joining an organization doesn't label us "better" or superior to those
who don't join. And to be quite frank, if members of any organization
belittle and demean those who don't join, or feel they are a "better"
blind person for joining a group, they're in the wrong. No one should
ever, ever treat people in a demeaning way. If we claim to fight for
equality, we can't turn around and treat others who don't join with
mindsets and attitudes suggesting inequality. We all have a right to how
we live and what, and how, we participate in groups. Likewise, we can't
adopt superior attitudes towards members who, in the opinions of some,
lack involvement, or those who participate in certain aspects of the
Federation but not others. If someone wishes to make the Federation
their life (and I'm not coating this with any meaning good or bad) that
is their choice, but if others don't and can't devote all or even half
of their life to the Federation, this is also their choice, and either
one should not be made to feel guilty, inferior or treated as though
they don't care, or live in a safety-net of blind-specific interest and
pursuits.

We can't expect the world to treat us as equals and deal fairly with us
if we don't extend the same courtesies to each other. When I had to step
down from most of my Federation positions last spring due to personal
reasons, whispers went up in some corners that I had "back-slid" in my
ideas of blindness and what is important. To be a bit honest, I have
felt quite isolated since stepping down though I made it clear I had no
intention of quitting the Federation or that I was no longer interested
in assisting in what way I can; I just reached a point where I couldn't
have the sense of obligation board positions hang over you as a huge
part of my life. I needed to claim back the balance in my life so I
could focus on personal and professional ventures as well. So I
understand how some may feel, like you're either in all the way or
you're not in at all, which is not realistic for most people in general
no matter the group or topic.

I'm much like Sean; though I believe whole-heartedly in the fundamentals
of the Federation-- complete independence and that blind people can, and
will, do anything-- I don't agree with each decision, each direction,
the Federation takes, just as I don't agree with each thought and issue
adopted by the Democrat party. This is how human nature works. Think of
the relationships in your life-- parents, siblings, significant others,
teachers, friends-- do you always agree with them? Of course not, and an
organization like the Federation operates like a family just on a larger
scale. We support one another and are there for one another even if we
don't always see eye-to-eye, no pun intended, smile!

Let's not stop moving becoming stag net because we tear one another down
simply for not joining an organization of the blind or because some of
us pick and choose where we are involved; this does nothing to help our
cause, it only disintegrates what we're working towards. Joining a group
like the Federation has a lot of benefits, but the NFB is working for
the blind community at large, whether you're a member or not. And like
Arielle said, we have an instant network of people to turn to for all
sorts of things. Whether it be employment, education, relationships and
even things like home management and parenting, we have a vast network
of people who have, or currently are, been there and can answer
questions and help us along our path. Let's not discredit a group like
the Federation or lump all Federation members into one cookie-cutter
shape, but let's not adopt superior attitudes either towards those who
don't join. Learn to think for yourselves and not be swayed by one
thought over another. You can be a Federationist and not agree with
every decision made, but you can also agree with many sentiments of the
Federation without actually joining. At the end of the day, is not
equality and independence for the blind what matters? And if this is
happening in the world, our country, does it really matter who is
involved and where they choose to be involved?

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan