[nabs-l] question for the creative and science-loving nabsters

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 04:20:03 UTC 2012

Hello Valerie and everyone,

    There's a tried and true method of weighing animals without having to
buy a special scale particularly if you're only going to weigh a few species
such as your parrot. First weigh yourself. Next step on the scale with the
parrot purched on your arm, your head, or where he/she likes to rest on you.
Once a reading is obtained subtract your own weight from that of yourself on
the scale with the parrot. This will give you the bird's weight.

    When we raised Boxer Dogs dad used to weigh the puppies that way. I've
also seen vets use this method when weighing some of my guide dogs. Since
most of them see large numbers of animals they have special scales for
weighing them. Hope this helps.

Peter Donahue