[nabs-l] Writing Skills

Grussenmeyer, William Daniel wdg22 at saclink.csus.edu
Sat Jul 14 17:35:57 UTC 2012

I completely disagree.  English is not an important subject.  In fact there should be no degrees in it and the departments should be cut back to doing what is in fact most important -- communicaiton through writing.  This is the only point of writing -- communication, and these universities not only do not focus on that aspect but are extremely prejudiced against communication skills and all social skills in general.  Communication through writing is a social skill.  Colleges professors consider studying more important than social skills and they most of the time lack these.
  I had to ignore most of what was taught to me at UC-Davis which is supposed to be a top university, but when it comes to English classes they spend most of the time teaching you intellectually obtuse, obtuse, and unimportant concepts.
  In conclusion, communication through writing is good and should be taught while English is a waste of time along with communication major which teaches a lot of similar useless pretentious concepts and quote archaic philosophers.
  And don't even get me started on the evils of teaching morality in English classes.  English class Morality teaches you to write what other people want you to write to make them happy and not hurt them instead of teaching you what is far more important:  write what is courageous, saying what you really want to write and expressing it powerfully.

Anyway, read the Writing with Style book, you can find it on bookshare.org.  It teaches you practical and effective communication in writing and throws out all that useless pretenious conceptual waste of time.

--Bill