[nabs-l] Computers

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 23:17:19 UTC 2012

Hi Gloria and all,
I have had an Acer netbook since December 2009 and it works fine with
JAWS for the most part. It has started freezing every once in a while
after I installed Windows 7, but it's hard to know if that's a JAWS
issue or not, and it only happens every once in a while. If your
netbook is freezing a lot, before buying a new computer, it'd be worth
taking it to an IT center or computer repair shop to have it looked at
and see if there's something wrong with the software that's causing
the frequent freezing. It could very well be a simple issue that has
nothing to do with JAWS and can be fixed without buying a new
computer. Netbooks have several advantages, including longer battery
life and increased portability not to mention lower cost. My netbook
puts less strain on my back and shoulders than my laptop did and
that's why I continue to use it. I still have the old Dell laptop and
use it when I need more computing power, or when I prefer to use
Microsoft 2003 instead of 2010 for something, but I've found my
netbook works quite well overall. I wouldn't let fears about
processing power stop anyone from buying a netbook unless you plan to
play games or do something else that's beyond typical student computer
use.
Best,
Arielle