[nabs-l] Freshman year

David Dodge daviddod at buffalo.edu
Tue Jul 17 22:46:31 UTC 2012

Katie,
Like Beth, I am excited to hear what college you are going to. However, I
would not nececcerily choose your college on how accessible it is. I would
make choices based on academics and teach them how to become more
accessible if need be.

In general, college students are more accepting than high school students
because institutions of higher learning are very into diversity.

Honesty, humor, and letting them know that there is more to you then sight
or the lack thereof is the beat thing you can do.

David

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012, Beth <thebluesisloose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Katie,
> Hi, my name is Beth.  I did not graduate college yet, but I'm going back
in a major of women's studies.  I had bad experiences in high school as
well.  You are welcome to write me off list if you need something or
whautever it is you want to talk about.  Whuaft college are you going to?
 My old university recently had to settle a lawsuit with a friend of mine
or two over its math department inaccessibility.  So I'd be careful whaut
college you are going on to.  As for approaching the subject of someone who
can see learning about your blindness, I'd put a little humor in it.  I'm
not sure, but first, I'd write down whaut you want to say, read that out
loud to yourself, and then decide for yourself whether you want to say it
or not.  Sometimes a littel humor gets people disarmed much quicker than
just saying, "I'm blind.  I can't see.  I have to be accommodated." etc.
> Beth

I was wondering how other people handled telling others they couldn't see.
In high school I had a bad experience and don't want it to happen again.
Any advice would be helpful.

--
David Dodge
daviddod at buffalo.edu