[nabs-l] Freshman year

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:22:10 UTC 2012

I think it depends on the situation. If you are talking to a faculty
member because you need accommodations, you don't necessarily have to
go into what you can and cannot see. Just explain that you are blind
and what accommodations you do need. If you have some vision and if
you can successfully use that vision, then you could maybe explain
that, but all the professor really needs to know is the accommodations
you need. They might ask questions, and a lot of people will. I prefer
to just answer them honestly and use the opportunities as educating
experiences. I had a lot of good experiences with higher Ed faculty,
but I will have to say that although you will not receive the direct
joking and making-fun in college that you necessarily would in middle
and high school, I repeatedly overheard people talking about me as I
passed by on campus, and I often ran into ignorant people. I do not
believe this is any different from the real world though. I think that
if you overhear people talking about you, you should ignore them. They
aren't inviting you into the conversation. One thing my friends with
vision do is make eye contact if they can. Some of my sighted friends
did this if they noticed people staring at me when we walked together.
If people are asking you ignorant questions, give them educational
answers. I have also found that asking questions about them can show
that you are more than just blind. If I am walking down the street and
someone makes a derogatory comment and says something that is truly
ignorant, I often just keep walking. But, if I am at a light or
something and someone nicely asks how I cross the street, I take it as
an educational opportunity. So as you can see, it is all case by case
combined with your comfort level. I would encourage you to be
comfortable though, because that means people will be comfortable
around you. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience, but
everyone has bad experiences getting to know others. You will meet
some people that just don't get it in college, and I hate to be the
cynic, but if you can't maintain a mutually beneficial friendship,
then move on. People giving you bad experiences because you are blind
aren't worth your time if you make an honest effort that is fruitless.

We are always here to answer questions, so if you encounter a
situation that is particularly difficult in approaching because you
are blind, then you are welcome to ask. Some ways to mitigate the
nervousness are to get involved with clubs and activities that are of
interest to you, because then you know that you will have something in
common with the people you meet at these activities. But overall, just
show up to things. Go to architectural presentations and dorm events.
Ask people on your hall if you want to eat together, and if you need
assistance in the dining hall, just ask for assistance and ask if one
of the students can look out for you and show you where they are
sitting. Or, you might meet some friends who are nice enough to assist
you. But be sure that if they are concentrating on blindness or just
helping you to be a Good Samaritan that you prove that you are
independent and can do it if they are not there, and that you are more
than just blindness by bringing up what you like to do. But by just
showing up and interacting with people, you are proving that you are
just like all of the other freshmen.

Cindy