[nabs-l] Freshman year

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:33:34 UTC 2012

Hi Katie,

How fun to have another Katie on the list:) I see that others have
already written with plenty of good advice, which I hope you found
helpful. I agree that, while there are certainly some ignorant people
in college (or anywhere else, for that matter), college peers are
generally much more accepting than high school students. I didn't have
very positive experiences in high school either, but I was able to
find a group of wonderful friends in college and consider those four
years one of the most rewarding times in my life (I'm now  a graduate
student). As others have said, self-advocacy skills are extremely
important for academic success in college, and establishing yourself
as an independent, capable person is the first step toward building a
fulfilling social life. I usually don't say much about my blindness
when I first meet people, but if they are genuinely interested and
have questions about how I accomplish different tasks after we get to
know each other a bit, I'm always happy to share my experiences.

Best of luck with the start of your freshman year, and feel free to
email me  personally if you have any specific questions.

Katie

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/sweetpeareade