[nabs-l] Freshman year

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 02:19:55 UTC 2012

Katie,
Unfortunately, you cannot change some bad experiences and attitudes. Why
would you tell them? Being totally blind with a cane, isn't it obvious?
You may want to be more specific. What exactly would you tell them and why?
If its professors, I simply state it; I have some vision so I say visually
impaired. I simply state my condition and state then I will need
accomodations and will discuss those and any questions they have after class
and if needed a meeting. This has always worked fine with me. I advocate
ahead of time to professors via email; after all, I want electronic copies
of stuff, particularly the syllabus which is handed out first thing day one.

I think the only disclosing you need to do is via phone if you have a
roommate. I'd tell the roommate ahead of time, so its not a shocker to them;
with all your adaptive equipment and all. I told my roommates and they
seemed fine with it.

Good luck.
Ashley