[nabs-l] New Computer

Herrin, Amber R. herrinar at muohio.edu
Wed Jul 18 01:44:22 UTC 2012

Beth,

Something you could add is that it is easier for you to get computer and
screen reader support because of the fact that it is integrated.

Consider the scenario:

Something, who knows what, pick your favorite (or least favorite, as I like
to do) program, and assume that something won't work.

You get in touch with the developer of the program, and they say they don't
know whether or not their program is supported by our screen reader, and
anyway, your screen reader is a third-party app, so who knows whose fault
it really is?

You call your screen reader of choice's tech support line, but, they to,
have no ideas.  We're sorry it's broken, but we really can't be sure that
every program is compatible with our screen reader.  If it's not a popular
program, you can't be sure of anything.  Maybe we need someone to write
scripts for it.

Or:

You discover that something doesn't work, so you call Apple.  Now, Apple
didn't develop this program, but they did develop the screen reader, so
they kno0w how it should interact with the computer, whereas, there is no
predicting what any given screen reader will do.

It's cheaper to upgrade the operating system for apple's products, which
means, whenever the operating system is upgraded, the screen reader is
automatically upgraded.

I could go on and on about this stuff.  If you'd like an actual
conversation about it, please feel free to use information located in my
signature.  I would be glad to talk Apple with you; I have iOs devices as
well as a Mac Mini.

HTH,

Amber R. Herrin
ATI Student in Training 2012