[nabs-l] New Computer

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Wed Jul 18 02:05:24 UTC 2012

Your scenarios make no sense at all.
Yes, apple developed Voiceover, Freedom Scientific developed Jaws.
Because FS is third party does not mean that the screen reader is going
to be irratic and it might just suddenly decide to send tentacles out
your USB port to gobble you up for lunch. Whether or not you get in
touch with apple or FS, or even GWMicro, they probably won't support a
ton of third-party programs. There are standards to make programs more
accessible, which is what Voiceover and windows readers use, so it's not
just some unknown deal. If your going to throw out scenarios, it really
helps if you have an understanding of the options and how things work
before you work them out, otherwise it just makes no sense and you're
left with the message you just popped out with.

Yes, You do get voiceover free on the MAC, but for $1400 I can buy an
amazing computer that isn't apple as well. I could also use NVDA, which
no, it's not installed by default, but it can very easily be installed
and you have not only the ability to buy a cheaper computer with
non-proprietary hardware, but you also have a free screenreader, which
compares and exceeds a lot of what voiceover can do. You mention
scenarios and accessibility, so here's a scenario for you.

You get an app on the mac, and vo+left/right doesn't work--what do you
do. Well, you can sort of automate things sometimes, assuming you can
access things through apple script, you might be able to do it with
macros, but this is a long shot. On windows you have more options--you
can use the object navigation or the jaws cursor, or you can write
scripts for the app itself, rather than some external slow clunky
applescript mess.

I'm not going to totally trash OSX--I totally 100% love the accessible
install, and I love some of the apps--nothing I've ever seen beats mail
on OSX. I just want to discourage bad information just for the ability
to spread mac love.