[nabs-l] Freshman year

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 02:53:34 UTC 2012

Hi Brandon,
I don't like having my cane grabbed either, not only because it is
insulting but also because it is dangerous. If someone is holding my
cane tip up in the air I cannot detect obstacles around me and I have
to rely on their judgment to ensure I don't run into something. It is
also very disorienting. If the cane-grabber is a stranger, it's simply
unsafe to relinquish my judgment and orientation to them.
I respond in the same manner you described, by pulling out of their
grip and saying "Please don't grab my cane; I need to be able to use
it" and most of the time they get it. If someone persisted I would
simply plant my feet and not move forward until they had let go.
I think some sighted people correctly understand that we use our canes
as orientation devices but then mistakenly think they can use our
canes as pointers when giving directions or sighted guide. If possible
I try to give them an alternative, like asking to grab their arm or to
give verbal instructions.
Arielle