[nabs-l] Freshman year

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 03:34:36 UTC 2012

Lilly,
good advice. I also advocate and meet with professors ahead of time.
Although, usually they understand I need the first week's handouts, and that
is enough to start me off; then I schedule a meeting in their office hours.
If I need to go into more detail or they wish to have a meeting before
class, I do so. Sometimes with more visual classes, I find it’s a good idea
to meet ahead of time.

I think Katie has vision and may not use a cane. In this case, it makes it
harder to tell people you're blind because you don't have an obvious symbol
with you. If your eyes look normal, its easy for people to forget you cannot
see as well.

I'd say education and just being like all other students is the best combat
against negative perceptions and bad experiences. Joining clubs of interest
may help. this way you can talk about the common thing, not your vision.
You might want to mention what you can see briefly and move on. If you do
talk specifics, state it in functional terms about how you use your vision,
not medical terms. For instance, I say I have tunnel vision; I state then
this means I see what is ahead of me so if I am shown something, put it in
front of me, not to the side. I do not say, "I have a narrow field of vision
less than ten degrees with nystagmus" To them that won't make sense and
stating medical terms is unneccessary.

HTH,
Ashley