[nabs-l] Apprehensive about attending college

McMahon, Cory J cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 06:25:00 UTC 2012

Dear NABS members:

In 2011, I had every intention of attending college (I even went so far as to set-up a college visit); however, my attendance to college didn't occur, mainly due to the fact that, when it got closer to the day that I was to go for the college visit which I had set-up, I became frightened, and ended up having to forego everything.

With the above information as background, several individuals-including an Adviser to the U.S. Secretary of State (when I was at an event with her in April of this year)-have told me in no uncertain terms that I should attend college; however, the prospect of being extremely overwhelmed at college really scares me, and I'm apprehensive beyond belief.

The State Rehab agency in Missouri will pay for my attendance to college if I take a full load of classes and maintain, I believe, a 2.0 GPA (doing these two things is frightening!)

Without getting into too much detail on-list, I deal quite a bit with mental health issues, which I fear may compound any difficulties I may have at college and thus prevent me from achieving success.

Whenever anyone brings up the idea of attending college, I brush it off, usually-but it was brought up again yesterday, so I thought I'd explore this a bit more and solicit input from people who may be able--through dialogue--to ease my fears.

Please feel free to write me at:  cory.j.mcmahon at gmail.com to provide input.

Thank-you in advance for any advice, etc. you may have regarding what I've addressed above.

Sincerely,

Cory McMahon
Cory McMahon