[nabs-l] NFB Philosophy

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Jul 24 23:44:10 UTC 2012

A few notes in response to the comments of a few different people:

Joshua Lester:
The Xbox resolution passed at convention this year.  Please do your research before you post inaccurate information.  I am inside nobody's head, so I cannot speak to the source of the voting decisions of others.  I was the sponsor (not the author, but the sponsor) of this resolution.  The Xbox 360 does much more than provide a gaming platform.  The Xbox 360 has fucntions such as television streaming, Microsoft account management, and Microsoft product updates.  Congress has said that access to these technologies is a civil right, and we need to protect accessibility.  I want to put extra emphasis on the fact that Microsoft uses the Xbox 360 to communicate with its customers.  We, the blind, deserve to participate in those consumer interactions.  Some people argued that it's not a priority.  My response to that is that we are not limited to a certain number of priorities.  If we had let this one go, we would have been starting down a very slippery slope with accepting inaccessible technologies.

Ashley Bramlett:
You highlight an important point that we need young people to get involved, but we don't always shout about someone new joining the organization.  Very few people take off with a bang.  It's gradual.  We have new people joining, but you just don't hear about it the way you hear about members dying.

Kirt Manwaring:
Don't be afraid of hypotheticals.  Be as involved as you promised you would be when you were giving speeches as a national scholarship winner in 2010!
Not being fully involved because you might one day wish to leave is like not dating an amazing girl because she could break your heart one day.  Date that girl!

Yours in Federationism,

Justin Salisbury

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD