[nabs-l] Philosophical Homogeneity

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Jul 20 17:46:01 UTC 2012

Dear List,

There are always different opinions in our organization.  If you've met two or three Federationists-or ACB people, for that matter-with strong opinions in any direction, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

We do not shun people who disagree with our national leadership.

I am always willing to discuss what we're doing.

I make decisions because of my core beliefs and not just because someone from Baltimore told me what to do.

At the end of the day, after a vote, the answer is "yes" or "no," but that doesn't mean that every single member voted "yes" or every single member voted "no."  We organizationally adopt the position of the majority within us.

About closet Federationism: We'd love to have you active in our organization because actively supporting our efforts helps us accomplish our goals much more than quietly supporting us.  If we all sat in our closets and let everyone else do the work, we wouldn't live in the wonderful world that our active members have worked so hard to create for us.  In fact, we might not even have closets in which to sit.

In an earlier post, I used organized religion to illustrate the certain absence of philosophical homogeneity, and that was really the only tie I was mentioning or even implying with religion.  I understand that some people are very uncomfortable with the concept of organized religion-as I once was-and wished not to make anyone uncomfortable.

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Class of 2012
B.A. in Mathematics
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD