[nabs-l] Philosophical Homogeneity

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 18:28:04 UTC 2012

Justin,
  Sometimes I wish it were as simple as you're making it out to be.
While I am not denying that individual Federationists can (and do)
have widely differing opinions, when you become a fully participating
member in the Federation you are agreeing, in essence, to keep those
disagreements within the Federation and to abide by the policies and
programs of the Federation, even when you personally disagree.  That's
why I'm uncomfortable with organized religion; that's why, for all my
admiration and agreement with most of what the Federation does, I hold
myself back from full participation.  To illustrate, I will copy and
paste a copy of the NFB pledge I found in the braille monitor.
 "I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security
for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by
its constitution."
  I can not in good faith sign on to such a pledge as it binds me to
support the programs of the Federation, even in those rare instances
when I don't want to.  If I disagree with the course the Federation
takes on a particular issue, I can not voice that disagreement
publicly outside the Federation.  At best, I can stay under the radar
by not making my opposition to such and such a policy widely known
outside the Federation.  People can, and have, been expelled from the
Federation for loudly voicing their disagreement in public.
  No, before you ask, I can't really think of one particular issue on
which I passionately disagree with the NFB's position.  Certainly
right now I have no personal opinion diverging enough from the NFB's
official stance to compel me to public opposition.  But it could
happen, and I refuse to sign away my right to free expression,
wherever I chose, in the event it becomes an issue.  I agree with
about 90 percent of commonly held NFB philosophy, and that's enough
for me to get involved and participate as much as I can without
signing on to that pledge.  It's kind of a complicated issue, and I
see it as far less black and white than you've made it out to be.  Of
course, that is totally my opinion, and I don't intend for this to
sound like a personal attack in the slightest.  If I'm entitled to my
beliefs, you're certainly entitled to yours.
  Best,
Kirt