[nabs-l] NFB Philosophy

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Jul 22 00:36:02 UTC 2012

Marc,

You're right that some of our NFB philosophy does reflect values
generally held in American society. Wether these are right or wrong
doesn't matter to me in this very instant, but i think it is fair to
say that the membership of our organization certainly reflects the
variety of individuals in the U,S, generally. for that reason, it is
definitely worth saying that Sean's take on NFB philosophy is as
individual to him as it is to anyone's. Furthermore, I think that
sean's ideas about the role of universal design reflects sean himself
and his own values generally. But I think it is unfair to say that he
doesn't consider others' views and needs. And though you're correct to
say that his position on the social grid may affect his level of
awareness of certain issues, it is not correct to assume that he has
not made himself aware through various means or that he altogether does
not consider the needs and issues of others.

As to the overall discussion of universal design within the
organization, I think it really varies. Some people are more interested
in environmental access issues than others. And I also think the
organizations views overall on the matter have changed and are changing
because our world is changing and has changed over time.

Here's my take on universal design. I think it's a great idea in
theory, but its application gets messed up by, especially in the case
of blindness, what various groups and individuals think we blind need
and don't need. And I think much of this need is determined by the
barriers various people think are imposed by blindness. As for me, I
think most things in life are already accessible to me as a blind
person as they are. Yes, it took some training for me to make that
happen. but it wasn't like it took years and years of training. Though
my training covered specific types of barriers and how to overcome
them, much of my training was spent convincing myself through multiple
trials and mentoring that I have the creativity and wherewithall to
adapt to my world for the most part. And I think that's part of the
problem. Many of us in the blindness community (including the
professionals who serve us) believe that we blind (the average blind)
don't have that wherewithall. I don't think that's correct and
seriously underestimates what we can do for ourselves in a variety of
life areas, not just in this particular domain. And frankly, many
universal design ideas come with the notion that blindness makes it
difficult for an individual to make sense of their environment because
of the lack of sight alone.

Now before you get all hot and bothered by thinking that I'm against
universal design, let me say that I do support including universal
design in technology such as kiosks, e-book readers, computers, point
of sale terminals, etc. These are devices included in daily life that
really do present a challenge to us. Yes, we could overcome this
barrier by shopping elsewhere, by getting help when necessary, by
getting our consumables from firms who don't use inaccessible
technology, etc. But that's kind of ridiculous in my view. The
technology's there. Companies such as Apple have proven that, when
designed from the ground up, accessible technology doesn't constitute a
huge financial hardship. I also support accessible pedestrian signals
where they would be helpful, but not at every damn block! Video
description? Sure. Accessible currency? Sure. Do I think not having
video description or accessible currency is discriminatory? No, not
necessarily. And that's partially what I think Sean means when he says
that there's a huge difference between moving on and whining. Blind
folks have gotten along without descriptions and bumps on money for
some time without too much trouble. We've even developed some of our
own tools and means for getting around these problems. But does that
mean we're fundamentally against these new accessibility features? Of
course not! I acknowledge, and so do others sharing views similar to
mine, that these features do make our lives a littel more convenient,
and that's not necessarily a bad thing so long as we can still adapt to
situations where these conveniences are not yet available. And there
really are some barriers that universal design helps with. I think of
braille signs. I can't tell which bathroom is which without going in
and finding out the hard way. I can't tell which room is which unless I
ask people in these rooms or near them. Braille signs help me overcome
these barriers. Without a beep or a voice telling me which floor I'm
on, I wouldn't know unless I had some way of counting them as the
elevator rises or if I get out of the elevator and find out through
exploration. By then, the elevator's gone if it's not the floor I want
and I have to catch the next one. But if it doesn't beep or something
telling me whether or not the thing is going up or down, I guess I'll
have to find out the hard way. All this is to say that universal design
really does help me as a blind person, but I don't support design
features that presume I can't think or do for myself. I'd much rather
prefer that the money spent on unnecessary features gets spent on
training blind people or on developing accessibility features that can
be taylored to the needs of various individuals without annoying others.

Respectfully,
Jedi

REspectfully,
Jedi