[nabs-l] NFB Philosophy

Wasif, Zunaira Zunaira.Wasif at dbs.fldoe.org
Mon Jul 23 14:03:39 UTC 2012

I agree that not everyone can benefit from training.  In fact, the
majority of my clients do not benefit nearly enough from training to
become sufficiently independent.  People that have been sheltered their
entire lives simply can not always overcome their scarcity of experience
through a year or so of training, no matter how extensive it may be.
Their confidence is often not up to the challenge, and  I agree that a
universal approach to environmental barriers is more beneficial for
these people than a strictly person centered approach.  The universal
approach defines disability, in my understanding, as something that
exists between the person and his environment.  The opposite perspective
defines disability as something with in the individual.  According to
the universal model, blindness would not be a disability if every thing
was accessible through braille and or speech.  A dualistic model seems
to be the best approach in my opinion, although the NFB has historically
held a more person centered approach.  There will always be those people
who espouse an extreme view, and there will always be people who differ
from each other upon where they fall along the spectrum, but your
position on this one ideological principal shouldn't include or preclude
you from participating in NFB because there are a lot of practical
things that are being done that are beneficial.